From Our Scribes
- Wake-Up Weather: Have yourself a weekend, Houston4cast·in·5seconds Sunny, pleasant, comfortable autumn weather. run·down I would encourage the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau to bookmark the next couple days and repackage them in future ad campaigns because they look fantastic. Today should be sunny and pleasant. Lower humidity is settling in over us, and we’ll see it actually lock in for […]
- Hurricane Joaquin, a major hurricane, now likely to remain off the East CoastForecast models are coming into better agreement about the evolution of Hurricane Joaquin, now a Category 4 storm with 130 mph winds. And it’s good news for the East Coast of the United States. Nearly all significant models keeps the large and powerful storm off shore and there now seems to be a greater than 75 […]
- Wake-Up Weather: Drier air moving in, and oh what a weekend aheadYour sunrise summary of everything you need to know about weather in Houston. 4cast·in·5seconds Sunny and warm. run·down What a weekend do we have coming. Houston is already seeing some slightly drier air this morning — relative humidity is in the 80s rather than the 90s — and this is just the beginning. Highs today […]
- Former Chronicle reporter dies at 59
- Petition calls for Medal of Freedom to be given to Oregon shooting heroIn the aftermath of the horrific shooting in Oregon last week that killed 10 and injured 9, a social media campaign has been launched to turn attention on the victims and heroes of the day, rather than the man accused in the mass shooting. Meet Chris Mintz.
- What football game? Houstonians enjoyed street closure SundayA slushy machine was dispensing free frozen drinks for the kids, employees were handing out bottles of water, and for the dogs, there was a big bowl of ice water and a jar of dog treats. The company took advantage of the meet-and-greet opportunities offered by Cigna Sunday Streets, a city program that periodically closes […]
- Kobe returns, scores 5 in brief preseason outingKobe returns, scores 5 in brief preseason outing
- Sunday's Top 5: Playoff preview editionSunday's Top 5: Playoff preview edition
- Matthews to Kaepernick: 'You ain't Russell Wilson'Matthews to Kaepernick: 'You ain't Russell Wilson'
- Zip line popularity soars along with injuries, study findsCHICAGO (AP) — Injuries from zip line accidents have soared along with the popularity of an activity that hurtles riders through the air, sometimes at dizzying heights above ground, a study of U.S. emergency room data shows.Over 16 years, nearly 17,000 people were treated for zip line-related injuries including broken bones, cuts and sprains; most […]
- Brees' 400th TD pass lifts Saints over Cowboys, 26-20 in OTNEW ORLEANS (AP) — As Drew Brees watched Saints teammate Zach Hocker clank a potential winning field goal off the upright before a stunned Superdome crowd, the veteran quarterback began trying to convince himself that he was simply meant to throw his 400th career touchdown pass in overtime.Chalk one up for the power of positive […]
- Gusty wind may add to weather risks on soggy East CoastCOLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Hundreds were rescued from fast-moving floodwaters Sunday in South Carolina as days of driving rain hit a dangerous crescendo that buckled buildings and roads, closed a major East Coast interstate route and threatened the drinking water supply for the capital city.The powerful rainstorm dumped more than a foot of rain overnight […]