From Our Scribes
June 14th, 2015
Upon entering the Amaanah Refugee Services office, I felt like there was something diffe[more]
- Flash flood watch cancelledForecasters said to expect rainfall through the afternoon, but the National Weather Service called off the city's flash flood watch just before 8 a.m.
- Forecasters say it'll get ugly outside, flooding may comeThe weather forecast for Houston is rain, up to 2 inches in some areas, which normally brings flooding.
- Here's where the Valentine's Day tornadoes hit the Houston areaThe National Weather Service has confirmed the approximate locations and times of five tornadoes that hit the Houston area Tuesday.
- Winning numbers for Feb. 20, 2017Winning numbers for Feb. 20, 2017 Estimated jackpot $19.75 million Winning tickets None Estimated jackpot $349 million Winning tickets None Estimated jackpot $46 million Winning tickets None
- Galveston police investigate death of two people found in homePolice are investigating the death of two people found inside a home in Galveston.
- Bill would create 'Amber Alerts' for chemical emergenciesChemical fires and releases across Houston in the last year, and the Houston Chronicle's Chemical Breakdown series, have shed light on problems with toxic stockpiles and emergency response. The bill would create a statewide "opt-out" system, meaning phone users would get the alerts unless they deliberately choose not to, just as some Amber Alerts and […]
- Cousins: 'Love for this city has never changed'Cousins: 'Love for this city has never changed'
- Huggins: Defibrillator led to him falling to courtHuggins: Defibrillator led to him falling to court
- Sources: Wolves among teams to pursue RoseSources: Wolves among teams to pursue Rose
- A British Muslim teacher was denied entry to the US while on a school tripLONDON — Juhel Miah, a British Muslim teacher from Swansea, was denied entry to the United States while on a school trip last week, the Guardian reports. Despite a suspension of US President Donald Trump's travel ban, Miah, who was with other teachers and a group of children. The group was about to leave Reykjavik, […]
- EUROZONE PMI BEATS: 'We are running out of superlatives to describe the German economy'The eurozone economy continued to grow quickly in February, according to the latest flash PMI estimates from IHS Markit, released on Tuesday. "The pace of eurozone economic growth improved markedly to hit a near six-year high in February," IHS Markit said in a release. "Job creation was the best seen for nine and a half years, […]
- 6 charts that show how the 'gig economy' has changed Britain – and why it's not a good thingLONDON — Tax incentives rather than technology advances have fuelled a UK boom in self-employment, and the trend could leave the Treasury £6 billion out of pocket if it continues, according to a report by the Resolution Foundation. The group found that the numbers of self-employed workers grew 22% to 5 million since the 2008 […]